Connecting professional and amateur theatre in Newbury, West Berkshire and beyond

Newbury Theatre Message Board

Newbury Theatre Message Board
Newbury Theatre Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 People and things
 Auditions
 Actors Needed For Edinburgh Fringe Play

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Stage Write Posted - 24/02/2012 : 10:08:01
A Grave Reunion At The Edinburgh Fringe

Introduction
This is an opportunity to appear at the world's biggest arts festival, the Edinburgh Fringe! There will be a 6 day run which will be held at Theatre 2 at Surgeons Hall, Nicolson Street, Edinburgh; please find the link below for more details on the venue:

http://production.thespaceuk.com/venuespecs/VenueSummary2011.pdf#page=14

(It takes a while to load and you may have to go to page 15 or 13 and then back to 14 to view the page properly but you should find it works eventually.)

Accommodation & Travel
The accommodation for the chosen actors is already booked; it's a flat which is around 10 minutes walk away from the Theatre. Please find link below to view this:

http://www.edinburgh-flats.com/property/edinburgh-3-bedroom-apartment-in-old-town-ref-63-

I will take care of travel to and from Edinburgh and also the accommodation costs as well. On top of this I am offering a further 100 pounds for any additional expenses the actors may incur. All I will ask in return is that, if we accept you for the role and you choose to take it; you make the commitment to ensure you are available on the dates mentioned below. The rehearsals will be in or around the Newbury area. Please do not say you'll come back to me nearer the time to let me know as it cannot work that way.

Important Dates:
Regarding the rehearsal week commencing Monday 13th August, if work or other commitments prevent you from being available I am prepared to compromise on this as required.

Ideally all day rehearsals - Monday 13th - Thursday 16th August - (location and times tbc)

Pre-Fringe Performance at Croft Hall, Hungerford, Thursday evening 16th August (exact time tbc)

Travel up to Edinburgh Saturday 18th August

Dress Rehearsal at Edinburgh, Theatre 2, Surgeons Hall, Sunday 19th August (time tbc)

Edinburgh Theatre Performances, Monday 20th - Saturday 25th August between 5 and 6pm

Return back home Sunday 26th August

Promo DVD
Although dates have yet to be confirmed I will also be looking to hire a theatre in the Newbury area for a few hours to put together a 5 - 10 minute promo DVD. This will have to be done before June as this is when I send press packs to Media outlets to try and entice a journalist to come and review our play at the Fringe. I will of course arrange the session(s) around actors´┐Ż availability. Likewise up until Monday 13th August the rehearsals, which will be in the Newbury area, will also be arranged around actor availability.

A Grave Reunion Synopsis
A 45 -50 minute 'poetrical': dialogue interwoven with poetry.
Four university graduates unexpectedly reunite, ten years after they've graduated, at the wake of a disreputable former acquaintance. The deceased has taken a dark secret to his grave that has had a profound effect on one of their lives without them realising.
Adapted from a radio play podcasted on Cornucopia Radio, A Grave Reunion heavily challenges the traditional notion of respect for the dead. It shows the unfolding of a chance reunion between fundamentally different people with sometimes humorous consequences but also tragic ones as well.

Characters:
The characters are all between 32 and 35, so I will be looking for actors and actresses aged 25 - 40. The play has a cast of four and one of the roles 'Barry' has already been taken. I therefore require actors and actresses to audition for the three other roles which are as follows:

Sarah:
A traditionalist who is quite prim and proper; however in the final scene she has an explosion of very dark and raw emotion. Whoever plays her role will have to be able to make the sudden transition from a nice girl to a confused, angry and deeply traumatised woman and be able to handle some emotionally intense monologues.

Fliss:
A very impulsive and loose woman who lives for thrills and excitement. Whoever plays her role will need to be able to portray the sense of living purely in the moment and also be comfortable with expressing carnal desires in an extremely frank way!

Dom:
A political activist who finds it very hard to connect with people on an emotional level. Whoever plays him will need to convey the sense of being removed and lacking empathy.

Full biographies of the characters and the script are available on request.

And Finally...
This play was performed in Leeds during May last year (when I was living 'oop north!') and it got a very good reaction. Please see below for a link to the review from the Leeds Fringe:

http://leedsontheedge.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/a-grave-reunion-review/

A Grave Reunion was originally a radio play that was broadcasted on the community radio station 'Sheffield Live' and podcasted on the Cornucopia Radio Website. Please find the link below if you want to hear the original audio version that the stage play is based on (with some changes):

http://www.cornucopia-radio.co.uk/?s=A+Grave+Reunion

If you are interested in taking part you can reply to this message or alternatively my e-mail address is
as below:

nickcardbiz@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to hearing from you.

Newbury Theatre Message Board © Newbury Theatre 2006-2007 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000